Breastcancerandme

I started this blog because one of my friends asked me to. I guess it was an easy way for people to stay in touch, and to be a suport through this journey called cancer. I have found though, that people are taking away different things from this blog and now, I see it more as an opportunity to share thoughts of life, and to reach out to others, and not just cancer patients and survivors.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

How do you convince other people that a diagnosis of cancer, or a course of chemotherapy, does not automatically mean that you have one foot in the grave? That you are still capable of being a thinking, contributing human being, with lots of life in you yet, and with lots yet to give? Here, I refer to people who take your responsibility for your life away from you by saying, 'Well, given your situation, I did not want to burden you...'.

What crap. I resent being pigeon-holed, and limited because I have cancer. I resent not being allowed to contribute, not being able to convince people that I am taking the chemo exceptionally well, just because...'well, its chemo you know...'. What do I have to do - dance on the bar counter stark naked?

The life-connection is what pulls cancer-sufferers through, and turns them into cancer survivors. 'Positive discimination' (a stupid contradiction in terms if I ever heard one) is simply an excuse to discount you, and is a mediocre form of charity for the uneducated, uninformed, and uncompassionate,people with a moral superiority complex. When you are well, you would not accept such treatment. Why should someone with a cancer diagnosis, looking to make whatever time they have left as meaningful as possible, do so?

We are NOT dead yet, and for many of us, it will be a long, long time before we are! We have the right to live fully, and demand of the people around us to allow us to live fully. Do not accept paltry excuses for caring - demand the kind you need. This is for everyone, not just cancer sufferers.

Cancer survivors - stand up and be counted!