Breastcancerandme

I started this blog because one of my friends asked me to. I guess it was an easy way for people to stay in touch, and to be a suport through this journey called cancer. I have found though, that people are taking away different things from this blog and now, I see it more as an opportunity to share thoughts of life, and to reach out to others, and not just cancer patients and survivors.

Friday, May 18, 2007

In spite of my shopoholic, MaxMara-holic self, I have now a what I have always wanted but had never seemed to be able to manage - a quality capsule wardrobe.

I am still losing weight, and when I realised this a month ago after my bracelet flew off my wrist during a tai chi session, I panicked. Was it the cancer coming back? I really had no reason to lose the weight, having just returned from an eating binge in Penang. I had also just moved back into my apartment, and with no pots or pans, and sheer fatigue, I was eating out quite a bit. In other words, I should have been putting on weight.

A year ago, my weight loss would have prompted a celebration. After all, I have been on one diet or another since I was 13. Now, weight loss prompts panic. I rushed to the nearest doctor's clinic to weigh myself. The nurse had no idea what to make of the near hysterical person who rushed in, asked to use the weighing machine, stood on it, looked at the reading and rushed out. She did not have time to even get a word out. (Ok, she did bleat something but I couln't be bothered to respond). Weight on the scale had inched up!

The recent PET scan made me feel better - no sign of cancer. So, the weight loss must be good. To be on the safe side, I have bought myself a digital weighing scale - the better to detect every single fluctuation.

Now, I can celebrate the weight loss and my new wardrobe. I used to buy nothing but black - because I spent most of my money on work clothes and black is the colour du jour in the corporate world AND because it made me look thinner. Now, I am able to buy loads of colour and indeed have made a vow never to buy black again! I am buying funky jackets, cropped trousers, sequinned tops, and for the first time ever in my life, I own SEVEN pairs of jeans. I bought them simply because I could get into all of them. I remember once, during an offsite meeting, my boss told me to wear jeans because the dress code was casual. I had to buy a men's pair because there was not a single woman's pair in all of Singapore I could get into.

As of last night, I am still paring the wardrobe down. The only things which still fit are the stuff I have bought since January. Ergo - capsule wardrobe with colours, and polka dotted attitude.

My life is becoming pared down too. I work from home, eat most meals at home, and live simply and quietly. It is quite a contrast from rushing around at work, from meeting to meeting, getting on planes, and having to continually manage all sorts of afflicted personalities and their different agendas. I thought I would be bored, feel left out of things, but instead, I feel quite liberated!

I know of course, that I must earn my keep somehow. But I also know it will come. One day at a time - one joyful day at a time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home