Breastcancerandme

I started this blog because one of my friends asked me to. I guess it was an easy way for people to stay in touch, and to be a suport through this journey called cancer. I have found though, that people are taking away different things from this blog and now, I see it more as an opportunity to share thoughts of life, and to reach out to others, and not just cancer patients and survivors.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Either doctors lead very boring lives, or I must be a very talented, but undiscovered, comedic great. In the last 6 months, I don't think there has been a single doctor I have met who did not laugh at my circumstances - in a nice way, of course.

Take this conversation when I was trying to relate the story of THE DISCOVERY OF THE LUMP.

Me: I discovered it after a massage in Shanghai.
Doctor (impressed): A massage? Wow, it must have been some massage. Was it a male masseuse?

Next there was the POST-OPERATIVE GET OUT OF BED drama.

Doctor: Ok, let's see if you can get out of bed.
Me: Oh no, doctor, it's too painful, I want to stay in bed.
Doctor (with jovial bellow): What?!!! Your pain threshold must be under water!


Then there was the MYSTERY OF THE SWOLLEN LEGS.

Doctor: Is your right thigh bigger than your left?
Me: Err, well, they are both big so I cannot tell.
Doctor (sniggering): No, no, I did not mean to give offense!

Then there is the MYSTERY OF THE BULGING RIGHT BICEP

Me: Doctor, my right bicep is swelling. Could this be lymphoedema?
Doctor (after examining entire arm and hands): Nothing, what. I'm afraid it is just your muscle that is three cms larger than in the other arm (doubled over in laughter).

And today, there was NEXT-GEN BOTOX.

Doctor (gesturing to nurse leaving room): How old do you think she is?
Me: Um, 45?
Doctor: When we ask that sort of question, we mean that the person is either much older or much younger.
Me: Ok, 52?
Doctor (looking exasperated): She is 69.
Me: Really? Wow, she is in very good shape!
Doctor (straight-faced): Yes, must be the radiation...
Me: No kidding, what sort of treatment is that?
Doctor (speechless, doubled over on his desk and laughing).


Ah well, into every cancer journey some levity must fall! I guess this is what they call a bedside manner - hahahahaha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home