Breastcancerandme

I started this blog because one of my friends asked me to. I guess it was an easy way for people to stay in touch, and to be a suport through this journey called cancer. I have found though, that people are taking away different things from this blog and now, I see it more as an opportunity to share thoughts of life, and to reach out to others, and not just cancer patients and survivors.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Yesterday was truly a landmark day - I jogged 6km (yup, count 'em, S-I-X!), did 20 minutes of tai chi, then climbled 15 flights of stairs, came down, and went up again! I cannot point to a single point in time before cancer when I was in better shape! Having grown up asthmatic, I was trained not to push myself for fear of an asthma attack. Now, I do push myself and I can - finally! - see what the fuss about exercise is all about.

Once started, my obsessive personality kicks in and I don't want to stop. One more km, another 5 minutes, yet another flight of stairs...and when I get back to the flat, I start on my free weights. I am determined to have firm, muscled arms by the time I start radiation in 30 days.

Isn't it ironic that I am supposed to be in the worst physical shape right now, and yet the opposite is true? Go figure.

I wish I had started on this much sooner - now that I am getting on in years, my poor knees are protesting. But I ignore the creaks and clicks and carry on! My fitter friends used to bang on and on about beating their bodies, control over the physical, mind over matter etc. I used to stare at them uncomprehendingly while slurping my umpteenth glass of champagne and munching my fois gras and caviar. Not me! I thought. Nutters! I muttered to myself.

Doesn't God just love to turn our words back on us? Now look at me, I love my exercise! I no longer drink, or eat any animal with fur, feathers or legs. Only scaly, slimey things for me.

It occurs to me my life is turned completely on its head:

Protein BC (before cancer): Steak, lamb, venison, fois gras, eggs, anything dairy (especially anything with a French or Italian name), all shellfish, raw or cooked. Now: all verboten.

Veggies BC - rocket, gourmet salads, potatoes (done any way), rich western style veg soups. Now: local veg only, no potatoes, no salads.

Fruits BC - never, unless part of cake, or pie, or pudding. Now: as many as I can, fresh, three times a day. No other desert allowed.

Beans BC - peas, corn on the cob all the time. Now: only 10% of intake.

Grains BC - udon once a week, bread every night. Now: all verboten, brown rice only.

Exercise BC - eek! confined to cross trainer, 20 minutes exactly and only if there was something on TV to distract me while I was on the machine.

Booze BC - oh yes!, every evening, a couple of glasses of red, several carafes of Cosmopolitans and/or Pimms on the weekend Now: forget it, mineral water and green tea only.

TV BC - all the time. Now: rarely - I read more. Am obsessed by medieval history.

Prayer BC - yes, complaining to God. Now: still complaining, but spend more time saying thank you.

Shopping BC - hardly ever. Now: all the time, since social life is shot to hell. Can only go out once a week for a social meal. Otherwise, I have to eat macrobiotic at home. (Ok, sometimes I sneak the odd curry puff, but I do make sure it is sardine and not chicken!).

So you see, like it or not, cancer is a life changing experience. I am more concious of my health and I have stopped looking at the world through my supplement capsules. It is au naturel health-wise.

Now, I just focus on putting one foot in front of the other as I jog - a meditative experience. And - boy, this is the icing on the cake - am living with my mother again, and there are days when I actually enjoy it!

Well, God - I guess you must be grinning from ear to ear! I gues we all need a little lift now and again...even the Almighty...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home