Breastcancerandme

I started this blog because one of my friends asked me to. I guess it was an easy way for people to stay in touch, and to be a suport through this journey called cancer. I have found though, that people are taking away different things from this blog and now, I see it more as an opportunity to share thoughts of life, and to reach out to others, and not just cancer patients and survivors.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

A word about fatigue. If you are feeling tired over a period of time, weeks or months, you should get a check-up. I have recently discovered the meaning of fatigue - or rather, weariness. It is fatigue that won't go away, no matter how much you sleep. Or you are weary, but not tired enough to fall asleep. I have that now, and now I know it is because of the chemo, not because of remote office politics.

I have felt tired before, and in fact, I used to fall asleep in class in the afternoons. I had headaches and was convinced, at age 16, that I had a brain tumour. I went to see the doctor and he told me - guess what? - I was bored! Since leaving the classroom environment, and going to university where there was airconditioning, and since starting work, I hardly ever have headaches.

But I have been weary many times. I guess it is a consequence of being a bit of a workaholic and being in jobs which are deadline-driven. The days can be long and so my waking up feeling tired is not new.

However, I have to say that since just before Christmas of last year, I began to feel wasted by 3pm. I thought is was the work - one project after another, one business trip after another, no break until I was diagnosed with cancer in June. I wonder what my prognosis would have been if I had just listened to my body and had a check up back then.

I recall my aunt telling us that my Dad, who died of lung cancer, used to fall asleep while visiting them. If only he had had a check-up then, 10 years before he was diagnosed. An MRI would certainly have picked up his cancer.

My point is that the Singapore lifestyle of work, work, sleep, work, work, work, is a breeding ground for cancer. The stress, the lack of time to exercise, the quickly grabbed meals before we have to get back on the computer, coach the kids in their homework, drive them to their ballet and taekwondo classes - it is go, go go. No wonder we are tired. No wonder we do not notice, or think it is normal to feel tired. I listen to my friends talk about their lives and I feel empathetically fatigued.

Our lifestyle could be the death of us. Things are not going to get easier here. It is up to individuals to value their health, and to say: enough. Enough long hours, I am just going to leave the office while it is still light out.

Do yourselves a favour, seriously - call it a day - and get out of the office, spend time with your family, just veg. Free time with no agenda. Try it. It may be hard at first, but learning to listen to your body in quieter moments could save you. And if you are tired over a period of time - please, go get a check-up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home