Breastcancerandme

I started this blog because one of my friends asked me to. I guess it was an easy way for people to stay in touch, and to be a suport through this journey called cancer. I have found though, that people are taking away different things from this blog and now, I see it more as an opportunity to share thoughts of life, and to reach out to others, and not just cancer patients and survivors.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I have had the last two days off and, not having had this luxury since I was first diagnosed, I have realised just how essential it is to be able to simply...rest. I was diagnosed in June and apart from the single week I spent in hospital, I have been at work 5 days a week ever since. My company does not give employees additional time off for extended medical treatment, apart from the standard hospitalisation leave. I do not have enough to cover the full six months of treatment and so am having to work through this.

At first, it was a relief, because I thought it would help me save my job, and keep my mind off the problems of cancer. Over the past months, however, and especially at a couple of points, the stress was pretty heavy going. In addition to juggling the usual workaday issues, legal issues, office politics, I am fighting - literally - for my health and ultimately, my life.

Now, with side effects becoming more manifest, I have taken a couple of days off simply to rest up. And what a luxury it is. I find myself calmer, quieter, happier. No perpetually ringing phones, endless grind of deadlines, people playing games. Such peace.

Everyone with a serious illness should have the right to a time out. It should be part of our employment act. But this is not always possible, even in more advanced societies. I have heard of people who have terminal cancer who had to work through treatment in order to keep their jobs to make sure their families are as well provided for as possible.

This, to me, is unacceptable. If people prefer to work, more power to them. But we should have a choice. It is bad enough facing a dreaded disease, it is even worse not being given the opportunity to really deal with it, come to terms with it - and here I am talking spiritually. The physical and medical side of things are easier to block out, because you are just prodded from one thing to the next - the doctors see to that. But spiritually - there is just you. And if you cannot find quiet time, spirituality does not get dealt with. There is too much internal noise.

To me, having cancer is a spiritual journey most of all. My mortality and the hereafter is suddenly front and centre. It is the biggest thing all of us will ever have to deal with. Cancer survivors, I have always felt - without being too morbid about it - are priviledged in a way because they now have the opportunity to think about their exit, their final journey.

The job situation, and other workaday, practical issues, should not stand in the way of this transition.

Our society has to recognise the non-material, and give cancer survivors and others with a dread disease time. And even if, as a society, we do not recognise the spiritual element, what about simply giving people the chance to just...rest? It is NOT civilised to expect people to carry on with their lives, in addition to dealing with major health issues. That many still have to do so is an indictment of our society, our materialism, our driven-ness, and the lack of sensitivity and caring for the needs of particular individuals amongst our lawmakers. We like to think that we are a sophisticated society, but the attitude to sub-groups shows us up.

Democracy is about serving the needs of many, while protecting the rights of the few. Cancer survivors are in the minority. It is time that people spoke up for this minority. Let's give them a break, and give them the best possible chance at an improved quality of life, post-diagnosis - physically and spiritually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home