Breastcancerandme

I started this blog because one of my friends asked me to. I guess it was an easy way for people to stay in touch, and to be a suport through this journey called cancer. I have found though, that people are taking away different things from this blog and now, I see it more as an opportunity to share thoughts of life, and to reach out to others, and not just cancer patients and survivors.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

I have just been discharged from hospital after a hysterectomy on Monday - the final leg of this initial phase of my journey with cancer. The histology report came back - everything was normal, no cancer was found! I am now set for a speedy recovery and am booked on a flight back to Shanghai on Mar 1.

It was as different an experience from the mastectomy as one could get. For one, the pain level was about 200% higher. I awoke in a haze of pain, and remained like that for about 5 hours. They gave me a button to dose myself with the painkiller from a drip and I literally fell asleep after the operation with my finger on the button. I did feel much better at 10pm though, pressing the button every 2 hours. I was on a pathadeine drip for the rest of the second day, and on pills for the rest of the hospital stay. By the time I was discharged on Friday, there was no more pain, and I was moving around as normal.

The big disappointment, though, was that the much-anticipated hospital food was not that great. I remembered, from the mastectomy, that the food had been fantastic, and I had actually put on 2kg from the hospital food. No such luck this time. I had to keep to the vegetarian diet, which was bland. I tried the fish selections in the non-vegetarian choices, but it was just...ok. The last time, I had all the red meat selections and therein, I am sure, lies the difference. It is now back to macrobiotic with a vengeance - thank goodness! At least this stuff is edible!

Apart from all this, it was a very peaceful time. I read alot, was glad of the visitors who came by and, actually, did not watch all that much TV. I must be the only person on the planet who is always sorry to leave the hospital!

Once back home - I went for a 6km walk on Saturday, did not need to nap after that, and even managed some of the easier tai chi moves. Cannot wait to start jogging again!

To everyone who prayed for me, called and visited, a big THANK YOU! I have been much blessed throughout this journey, and you are all a big part of this blessing.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good grrl! Keep Going!

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger Simone said…

    Thanks for the encouragement! People keep telling me not to overdo it. Me! Ms Couch Potato!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home